- Download & Install the latest version of Pidgin.
- Open Pidgin and go to Add / Edit Account window of Pidgin.
- From the drop-down box choose XMPP as the Protocol.
- For the Screen name enter your Google Id (Gmail Id).
- For Server enter gmail.com
- You can leave the Resource with the default Home.
- In the Password field enter your Google ID password.
- Enter Local alias as whatever you want to.
Then in the Advanced tab change the following settings.........
Force old (port 5223) SSL: Checked
Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams: Un-Checked
Connect Port: 443
Connect Server: talk.google.com
Proxy type: Use Global Proxy Settings
The same could be done in empathy too usually configuring gtalk account in pidgin and empathy is some what a messy work if u didnt configure the advanced tab that is the port etc if we dont configure these all we will get a "connect error".